Sunday, March 6, 2011

what kind of follower are you?

The followership model explains that there is no leader without a follower. This model is definitely true and the most important aspect of leadership. Nowadays many people focus and pay more attention the leaders and teach individuals on how to become effective and successful leaders. What they fail to realize is that if everyone was taught to become a leader, the whole ideology of leadership would be destroyed. This is because there will be constant conflicts and a chaotic setting if everyone was to govern. Just as leaders are essential, followers are also very vital; so more attention needs to be given to the followers and followers need to be taught to become good followers and help the leadership cycle flow. The reason it is so difficult to teach individuals to become good followers is because the roles of followers are minimized and those who follow are belittled in society. What most people fail to realize is there would be no Mohammed Gandhi without his followers and there would be no president without his constituents. The followers are the most powerful individuals in the leadership cycle/pyramid though their placement is towards the bottom of the pyramid. Followers are like the elves in Santa Claus’s workshop; their hard work makes things happen and make people’s dreams come true.
            I have had some personal experience being a follower and I admit that it was a difficult task that however brought me joy at the end. When I was in Student Council, I didn’t hold an executive position making me a follower or the official term, a delegate. The delegates in my schools student council were the backbone that held this organization together. We assisted the executives in the idea process, but we were solely in charge of carrying out these ideas and making them come to life. Our different execs were the congratulated and acknowledge for our hard work.
After this week’s reading I realized the kind of follower I was in student council. It dawned on me that I was a participant follower. I worked hard and contributed, but my shy attitude kept me away from achieving my full potential. I wasn’t a bystander and I didn’t isolate myself from the group, but I preferred to stay away from events and activities that involved exposure to the school body. I was a behind the scenes person; I followed all the orders of my dance community executive Loralynn and I completed every task assigned to me. However, I only stuck to completing the duties assigned to me and never tried to utilize my own initiative to help further the organization. I cared more about being part of this group than going against the norms and boundaries I had been placed in. I participated, but I lacked the passion and drive and commitment like the diehards to give student council the best in me and fully involve myself in the group. I deeply regret being such a follower.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment